It’s Good to Have Talents

I deviate from my usual technobabbling to reflect on some of the things that have happened in the last couple of days. I designed a website for the Southwest High Robotics Team, the launch of which I announced earlier this month, and now the team captain would like me to be the Media Captain, in addition to my current position of Website Captain. This would mean that I would not only maintain the site, update the upcoming photo galleries and video pages, and develop new features like our planned wiki, but would also take photos and possibly create posters/edit videos.…

Read more

MediaWiki Developers are Quick

I submitted a MediaWiki bug this morning (bug 11438) and it was patched in SVN under 30 minutes later. That’s just, wow. Of course, I have to either patch my current local installation or download a new SVN version (which might have unknown issues that will be fixed before the next release), but by hook or by crook it’ll be fixed in the next release. Special thanks to Niklas Laxström for the quick fix! A few details: I was trying out a new extension I installed that generates trees from lists and has expandable/collapsible nodes using JavaScript, and tried using…

Read more

PHP Upgrade, Painstakingly

I upgraded PHP from version 5.2.1 to 5.2.2 last week, and boy did it take elbow grease. I had to fart around in the login settings on my computer, since I installed PHP under a different account that was no longer available on the Welcome Screen. I hate Windows. For some reason, I could only see my PHP installation from the account it was installed under. I had to log in two accounts and make sure my install settings were the same. That was weird, but at least it didn’t break. Now I have two PHP INSTALLER EDITS – REMOVE…

Read more

MySQL Upgrade, with a Small Issue

I upgraded MySQL on my computer a week or two ago, and had an almost flawless install. The only problem was I had to go back to the old my.ini. No biggie; just rename the files. But boy did it make my heart race when I saw there was a problem. I store all my homework (well, almost all) in a MediaWiki installation, run by the MySQL server instance I was upgrading. When I saw all the errors caused by the new configuration file, I thought I would lose all my stuff. Good thing I found a fix. I wish…

Read more

MediaWiki Upgrade, but One Thing Didn’t Work

I upgraded MediaWiki from 1.9.3 to 1.10.0 on May 10. I like the new features. Only problem: page restrictions were moved from a column in the page table to a separate table in the upgrade. The upgrade script, though this will be fixed in a later release, made `wikidb.page_restrictions.pr_expiry` equal to NULL instead of “infinity”. Problem? Shouldn’t be ordinarily, but Special:Protectedpages didn’t work; the entries from pre-1.10.0 didn’t display. I just changed them all manually using phpMyAdmin, but it’s fortunate I have a small wiki. Maybe I should learn SQL to cope with possible future errors…

Read more

Installing MediaWiki: The Trials and Tribulations

Over the past couple of days, I have been trying to install and configure all the required programs for MediaWiki. That includes Apache server, PHP 5.x.x, and MySQL 4+. I got Apache 2.2.4 and PHP 5.2.1 installed and running; I made sure by copying some PHP files from one of my websites to Apache’s htdocs directory and going to http://localhost/cada/, which if the server was working would display the files I had just copied. (I configured Apache to just show up as localhost, to the best of my knowledge.) The index.php file showed up just like it would over the…

Read more