This post has to do with an experiment I conducted last night with the WordPress installation at CodingExperiments.com, one of the other sites I write for. In the true spirit of that site, which is experimenting with code and all things computer-related, one or two visitors (who viewed the site or requested the feed in a window of about two minutes) may have noticed six extra posts briefly appear in the archives. That was my doing. (I did not, however, have anything to do with today’s outage; that was possible248. 😀 )
See, possible248 (that site’s owner) granted myself and i80and (another friend and contributor to that site) admin status within WordPress (I’ll have to talk to possible248 about his capitalization, as he writes it “WordPress”) yesterday, and I was exploring the options offered in the control panel. One of the tabs that intrigued me greatly was the import tab, which offers many options for importing content from other platforms:
That… is… so many platforms. Blogger being there is of particular interest, because I currently write for several blogs hosted on Blogger, including this one.
So, to explain why six posts appeared on this site briefly: I decided to give the import a try on the smallest blog.
The import was completed very quickly using Google Data APIs. After the import was complete, I was given the opportunity to change the author of posts. I must say I am very impressed with WordPress’ ability to grab content from so many (13 plus itself) different sources.
It’s also reassuring to know that, if I ever choose I no longer like Blogger and want to host my own site, it will be a piece of cake to move to WordPress (which is what I’d probably choose). The only question there is moving back to Blogger if I ever decide to do that. But both situations are far out in the future, reserved for when I have the time and money to maintain my own hosting.
Meanwhile, I consider the experiment a success. Go WordPress!