Solved robots.txt Problem

closeThis post was published 12 years 6 months 28 days ago. A number of changes have been made to the site since then, so please contact me if anything is broken or seems wrong.

I finally fixed the problem I was having with robots.txt here on this blog. After several days of troubleshooting, discussion, and (once) getting mad at Google, another Blogger user pointed out that disabling pings in the publishing settings also changes robots.txt so no Robots Exclusion Standard-obeying crawlers will access the site. I disabled Blogger’s pings to as not to incur double-pings with FeedBurner’s PingShot, but it looks like I’ll have to risk it; I just have to have Google crawling this site. I get half my traffic from them.

Interestingly enough, Blogger support never responded to my inquiry; nay, they didn’t even send an auto-responder message. I wonder if “robots.txt” is a blacklist keyword in some sort of filter on their help system…


I am an avid technology and software user, in addition to being reasonably well-versed in CSS, JavaScript, HTML, PHP, Python, and (though it still scares me) Perl. Aside from my technological tendencies, I am also a theatre technician, sound designer, violinist, singer, and actor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail (or subscribe without commenting)

Comments are subject to moderation, and are licensed for display in perpetuity once posted. Learn more.