Technobabbles began on MSN Spaces (now Windows Live Spaces) in March 2006. At the time, I was just looking for a place to vent about issues I was having with the computers and other devices in my life. My brand-new (at the time) HP iPAQ hx2755 was having issues with its Wi-Fi, and it provided motivation for me to start writing about things.
I heard about Google's new Blogger Beta in October 2006 and jumped at the chance to get a site that was just a blog — no photo galleries, favorite links, or any of the other junk that came with Microsoft's Spaces offering. I would eventually regret not moving to WordPress at that time, but I hadn't had enough experience to even know that WordPress existed.
Fast-forward through the intervening years. I morphed my Blogger site several times, adding new features if and when I felt like it (and Google released them), but I was continually unhappy with the lack of flexibility provided by the Blogger platform. I started to yearn for a WordPress-based site, but couldn't move to WordPress.com because I couldn't point the old site there, and it wasn't much more permissive than Blogger.
Then, in September 2009, nearly three years after I moved to Blogger, a Twitter contact of mine graciously offered to host a WordPress site for me on his account. A few weeks later I bit the bullet, buying a domain name. Navarr and I coordinated the set-up process one afternoon via Google Wave—incidentally while I was on a short family trip to Scottsdale, Arizona, an interesting coincidence considering that GoDaddy (my former registrar; I have since transferred out) is headquartered in Scottsdale. May Google Wave rest in peace; it was actually really useful, more's the pity that they shut it down.
Since then, I have been continually tweaking the site, adding plugins, choosing a theme, customizing all kinds of stuff, and (more often than I'd like to admit) making mistakes. I plan for Technobabbles to be an evolving site. If you pay me a visit and something looks funny, I'm probably testing something. (If it looks funny for more than a little while, though, please tell me. I must have missed a glitch.)
Let's face it: I'm a tinkerer. I'll never be 100% satisfied.
For several years, Navarr Barnier generously provided hosting and bandwidth for this site through his DreamHost account. As of May 2014, everything's running on my own infrastructure, but I will be forever grateful for Navarr's long-term generosity. Thank you, Navarr!
In fact, it was thanks to Navarr that I heard about an amazing discount offer on a VPS, which allowed me to set up some things (like a ZNC IRC bouncer) that simply weren't possible under shared hosting. Thanks to ChicagoVPS for offering the discount, sticking to it in perpetuity, and — most of all — providing a platform on which to build a more responsive technobabbl.es than the old site, which was plagued by server errors all over the WordPress admin panel at times.
Thanks also to my current domain registrar Namecheap for their awesome customer service, and to Justin Hileman for helping with an extra bit of CSS to add the OpenID icon on the comment form Website field.
Of course, no WordPress site would be complete without a bevy of plugins. Thanks to all the people who have contributed to the following:
- About Me by Alessio Caiazza
- Acunetix Secure WordPress by Acunetix
- Ajax Edit Comments by Ronald Huereca
- Akismet by Automattic
- Artiss Plugins List by David Artiss
- Broken Link Checker by Janis Elsts
- Clean Options by Mittineague
- CloudFlare by Ian Pye, Jerome Chen, James Greene, Simon Moore, David Fritsch (CloudFlare Team)
- Comment License by Alex King
- Core Control by Dion Hulse
- Deko Boko by Michael Toppa
- Duo Two-Factor Authentication by Duo Security
- FeedBurner FeedSmith by FeedBurner
- Feed Facebook, Leave Facebook by Keyvan Minoukadeh
- FormBuilder by James Warkentin
- Google Analyticator by Video User Manuals Pty Ltd
- Google Authenticator by Henrik Schack
- Google XML Sitemaps by Arne Brachhold
- Hide Broken Shortcodes by Scott Reilly
- Hide PHP Errors (except admins) by Voyagerfan5761
- HTML Special Characters Helper by Scott Reilly
- Impostercide by Mika Epstein, Scott Merrill
- Jetpack by WordPress.com by Automattic
- Lightbox 2 by Rupert Morris
- Live Comment Preview by Brad Touesnard
- Login LockDown by Michael VanDeMar
- Move WordPress Comments by Nicolas Kuttler
- One Click Plugin Updater by Janis Elsts
- OpenID by DiSo Development Team
- P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) by GoDaddy.com
- PC Robots.txt by Peter Coughlin
- Piwik Analytics by Jules Stuifbergen
- Plugin Test Drive by Omer Greenwald
- Post Title Counter by Oscar De Gracia Jr.
- PubSubHubbub by Josh Fraser, Matthias Pfefferle
- Pushover Notifications for WordPress by Chris Klosowski
- RB Internal Links by Arron Woods
- Readability Verifier by Arc90
- Redirection by John Godley
- Register Plus Redux by radiok, Tanay Lakhani
- Remember Me Controls by Scott Reilly
- Robots Meta by Joost de Valk
- RSS Link Tagger for Google Analytics by Timan Rebel
- Search Regex by John Godley
- Search Unleashed by John Godley
- Simple Trackback Validation with Topsy Blocker by Tobias Koelligan
- Skimlinks by Skimlinks
- Stealth Publish by Scott Reilly
- Stealth Update by Scott Reilly
- Subscribers Text Counter by Chris Kwiatkowski
- Subscribe to Comments Reloaded by camu, Reedyseth, Raam Dev
- System information by Joe's Web Tools
- Toppa Plugins Libraries for WordPress by Michael Toppa
- Twitter Cards by Niall Kennedy
- Twitter Cards Filters by Voyagerfan5761
- Twitter Embed by kovshenin
- VigLink by VigLink
- Vixy YouTube Embed by Applian Technologies Inc.
- W3 Total Cache by Frederick Townes
- WebStartAvenue EndNotes by WebStartAvenue
- WordPress Editorial Calendar by Colin Vernon, Justin Evans, Joachim Kudish, Mary Vogt, and Zack Grossbart
- WordPress Importer by wordpressdotorg
- WP-Footnotes by Simon Elvery
- WP-reCAPTCHA by
- wp-Typography by Jeffrey D. King
- WP Emphasis by Benjamin J. Balter
- WP Hide Post by Robert Mahfoud
- WP Native Dashboard by Heiko Rabe
- WP to Buffer by WP Cube
- WP Word Count by Brian J. Link
- XRDS-Simple by DiSo Development Team
- YOURLS Link Creator by Andrew Norcross